We craved Chinese food this week and wanted General Tao so bad!
Here is what you’ll need:
– 2 bell peppers (we use green and red)
– 1 onion
– 2 cloves garlic
– 1 head of brocoli
– 1 cup endamame beans (we used frozen ones, much easier)
– 350g firm tofu
– 1/2 cup vegetable oil
– 1 bottle of General Tao sauce
Here is what you will do:
1) Dice your onions, garlic, bell peppers, brocoli and cut tofu into strips.
2) In a large sauce pan, heat a teaspoon of vegetable oil and add the onions and garlic. Stir until the onion is slightly transparent.
3) Add bell pepper, brocoli and beans. Stir until vegetables are cooked. Put aside.
4) In a different sauce pan or cooking pot, heat remaining oil on medium heat. Once oil is hot, fry tofu strips until golden (around 5 minutes for us). Set aside on tissue paper to absorb the excess oil.
5) Put the vegetables back on the heat and add sauce. Mix well. Add the tofu before serving and stir to make sure it stays crispy.
We ate this with rice and it was delicious. We thought the sauce was too spicy to our taste, so we might try to make our own next time. However, it was much easier to use the pre-made one… Because it already contains salt, refrain from adding any to the tofu or vegetables.
The tofu was crispy and delicious! We love fried tofu!
What is your favorite vegan recipe? Share and let us know if you try our recipe!