Lentils are very underestimated and sometimes purposefully forgotten at the back of the pantry. Well this recipe will hopefully change your opinion on lentils! It is very easy to make, and oh-so delicious!
Here is what you will need:
– 4 cups soaked green lentils
– 2 onions
– 1 tbs olive oil
– 1 tsp lemon spice mix
– 1 tsp oregano flakes
– 1 tsp turmeric powder
– 2 tbs miso paste
– 1 tsp curry paste
– 1/2 tsp chili sauce
– 1/2 tsp salt
– pepper to taste
– 6-8 cups water
Here is what you want to do:
– Don’t forget to soak your lentils over night. You will need 4 cups of already soaked lentils.
1) Cute the onions and toss them into a large saucepan with the olive oil. Cook on medium heat until slightly translucent. Add the lemon spice, oregano and turmeric powder. Stir well.
2) Warm half a cup of water and dissolve the miso and curry paste.
3) Add the lentils to your saucepan and stir.
4) Add the miso mixture and stir well.
5) Add 4 cups of water, and stir well until all the water has been absorbed by the lentils. Then, add enough water to cover your mix.
6) Let sit until the lentils are cooked. You light need to adjust the amount of water to get the right consistency. Add the salt and pepper.
7) Optional: You can blend this, or eat it as is.
Really, step 7 is optional. I had the worst experience trying to blend this soup. I don’t know what is wrong with me an blenders these days, but they just seem to hate me! I used my parents blender for this soup, and for the first time ever, when I started to blend the soup, everything exploded. Luckily, I was holding on to the lid, but I still had lentil soup all over my arms and hair. So, I suggest you be careful when blending.
Besides from that, this soup is pretty amazing, and as my dad said: “this makes lentils enjoyable”. I have to admit, I am not a big fan of lentils, but I know they are good for you and so I try to eat my share. Well, I can’t get enough of this soup. It is filling, so it would make a perfect lunch to pack!
Let us know if you try it out!