As an early Christmas present I received the amazing recipe book by the Happy Herbivore. This book is amazing! It has many recipes that are all vegan and low-fat. What is really amazing with this book is that gluten-free recipes are identified. It also contains a very complete appendix filled with tricks and substitution ideas.
Looking for a desert for Christmas Eve, I came across the Carrot Cake Cupcakes (you can also find this recipe on the Happy Herbivore’s website) which looked yummy!
I changed it a bit so that it was gluten-free, and also compatible with what was in my fridge.
Here is what you’ll need for 12 muffins:
– 1 cup brown rice flour
– 1/4 cup coconut flour
– 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
– 3/4 cup sugar
– 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 mashed banana
– 2 shredded carrots
– 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 cups almond milk
Here is what you will do:
– Preheat oven at 350 F.
– In a large bowl, mix all the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
– In a smaller bowl, mix the banana, carrots and vanilla extract until well combined.
– Add in the carrot mixture to the flour mixture. This will be very dry.
– Add the almond milk 1/2 cup at a time until the batter is more liquid and smooth. I used the entire 1 1/2 cups.
– Line you muffin pan with paper liner or grease it.
– Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
– Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
– Let cool on a wire rack.
These cupcakes were a great success on Christmas Eve. The carrot gave a really nice texture and the dough was soft and very flavorful. A total success! I decorated them with some coconut whipped cream and little sugar stars to make them more festive.
Let me know if you try this recipe out! Happy Holidays again!