As an early Christmas present I received the amazing recipe book by the Happy Herbivore. This book is amazing! It has many recipes that are all vegan and low-fat. What is really amazing with this book is that gluten-free recipes are identified. It also contains a very complete appendix filled with tricks and substitution ideas.
Looking for a desert for Christmas Eve, I came across the Carrot Cake Cupcakes (you can also find this recipe on the Happy Herbivore’s website) which looked yummy!
I changed it a bit so that it was gluten-free, and also compatible with what was in my fridge.
Here is what you’ll need for 12 muffins:
– 1 cup brown rice flour
– 1/4 cup coconut flour
– 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
– 3/4 cup sugar
– 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 mashed banana
– 2 shredded carrots
– 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 cups almond milk
Here is what you will do:
– Preheat oven at 350 F.
– In a large bowl, mix all the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
– In a smaller bowl, mix the banana, carrots and vanilla extract until well combined.
– Add in the carrot mixture to the flour mixture. This will be very dry.
– Add the almond milk 1/2 cup at a time until the batter is more liquid and smooth. I used the entire 1 1/2 cups.
– Line you muffin pan with paper liner or grease it.
– Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
– Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
– Let cool on a wire rack.
These cupcakes were a great success on Christmas Eve. The carrot gave a really nice texture and the dough was soft and very flavorful. A total success! I decorated them with some coconut whipped cream and little sugar stars to make them more festive.
Let me know if you try this recipe out! Happy Holidays again!
One thought on “Carrot Cake Cupcakes”
It looks very good! Could you send some to me please?