Being a teacher has its up and down. One of the major down for me is that comme flu season you get a sample of all the different microbes out there. You get to give and so, I have been sick for the last two weeks with different kinds of flues. Let me tell you it is not a fun thing to get 6 years old to sing Old Macdonald when your head is about to explode. So when I came back home this week-end, I craved one thing, and one thing only (that is besides my bed): onion soup.
Thankfully, onion soup is super easy to make and even a sick zombie can manage!
Here is what you will need:
– 2 lbs yellow onions
– 1 box of vegetable broth (1L or 4 1/3 cups); make sure it is gluten-free and low sodium!
– 3 big cloves of garlic
– salt to taste (you might not need it if your broth is already salted)
– cayenne pepper to taste
– 1 tbsp olive oil
we loved this soup with some
– gluten free garlic croutons
– potato patties
Here is what you need to do:
– Mince your garlic and onions in fine strips. For the onions, I recommend cutting the onion in two and then mincing each half. If you want to avoid crying for two days after making this soup, I suggest you wear ski or swimming goggles. You will look ridiculous,yes, but no tears!
– In a large pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat.
– When the oil is hot, add the garlic and onions and stir until the onions are soft and tender.
– Raise the heat to a medium high heat and stir the onions until the start to brown.
– Add the vegetable broth and stir well.
– Add the salt and cayenne pepper and stir well.
– Cover and let the soup boil for 15 minutes or until the onions are soft.
That’s it! This is really super easy and is the ultimate comfort food! I felt so much better after eating a bowlful of this with potato patties. The cayenne pepper brings this to a whole new level, and really we did not miss the grated cheese on top. The potato patties took care of that itch.
Let us know if you try this out!
And good luck to everyone during this flu season!
2 thoughts on “Onion soup!”
That looks better than Tylenol, for sure:)
Well, we’ll be happy to see your hand made bowls, and to know if we can order some to you:)