A few days ago I stumbled upon these amazing little things and just fell in love with the idea. I really wanted to try them out, and so I went out to buy organic oranges. While in the store, I also picked up some pears, apples and fresh mint leaves.
Why stop at oranges?
The process is super easy; the result, impressive; and the taste, to die-for! These chocolates would also make an amazing gift if you were to arrange them in a pretty box.
Here is what you need for an assorted box of chocolates:
- 4 organic oranges
- 2 pears
- 4 stalks of mint leaves
- 150 grams of dark vegan chocolate chips
Here is what you need to do:
- Clean and dry all your fruits and herbs. It is really important that the mint leaves are dry if you want the chocolate to stick to them.
- Cut the oranges into 5mm thick slices. Align them on your dehydrator tray.
- Cut the pear as thin as possible and put them on your dehydrator tray as well.
- Let the dehydrator work at 75F for 12 hours, or overnight. If you do not have a dehydrator, you can place the fruit on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and let them dry in your oven set at the lowest temperature. Check on them often as they might dry out to much depending on your oven.
- Once the fruit is dry, melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler.
- Dip the fruits and fresh herbs in the chocolate using a fork and your cleaned fingers and place on a cookie tray lined with parchment paper.
- Let set in the fridge overnight (the hardest part of the recipe).
These are extremely easy, and so yummy! The orange slices have to be my favourites. They are quite similar to orangettes chocolates. However, because the slices are thick, there is still some juice left that explodes in your mouth. You really must try them out!
The pear slices are a little bit more chewy and have a milder flavour that is still quite nice. On their side, the mint leaves are a great alternative for After Eight lovers. The mint flavour is very refreshing, without being overly sweet.
Finally, you might get a little bit chocolate crazy and try to dip all the fruits that you have lying around. Experiment away, but I don’t recommend cranberries as these are really great for pictures, but not so much for eating: way too sour!
Anyways, let me know what you end up trying out! Check out the original post behind this idea, and also La végé d’à côté for some chocolate recommendations. And if you are looking for a dehydrator, I bought an Excalibur a few years ago, and it’s perfect! If you are in Canada, you can check out Upaya Naturals: that’s where I got mine, and the shipping was super quick.