About two years ago, I posted a recipe for General Tao Tofu. However, there was nothing truly amazing about this recipe as the sauce, which is the heart of the recipe, was store bought. Since then, I have been on the look out for recipes to make my own Chinese restaurant inspired recipes.
Well, I came up with a great orange sauce to add to your stir fries that really has a great flavour and will kick over all the store bought versions. It’s really easy, you probably already have all the ingredients in your kitchen, and it is really impressively tasty.
Here is what you need for the sauce:
- 3 cups orange juice (you can use store bought, or pressed. I usually go with a carton of pulpy orange juice.)
- 3 tsp corn starch
- 2 tbs tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha or to taste
- 1 tbs maple syrup
Here is what you do:
- Once you have your basic stir fry going (mixed vegetables, tofu or tempeh) and almost cooked, lower the heat to medium.
- In a large bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients with a whisk until the corn starch is completely dissolved.
- Pour the liquid mix into your pan and stir. After a few minutes, the sauce should start to thicken up. Mix to make sure all the vegetables are well coated in the sauce.
- Serve hot, garnish with sesame seeds and green onion, and enjoy!
This is the most amazing sauce I have prepared so far. It is thick and packed with orange flavour. It goes well with whatever stir fry you want to prepare: I made a “traditional” stir fry with greens and tofu, a chickpea sauté and just a vegetable dish. They were all delicious and quite popular too!
Let me know what you think, and how it goes if you try it out!
4 thoughts on “Orange Sauce Stir Fry”
This looks awesome!! You reminded me of General Tso Chicken at Whole Foods in the deli section. I believe they make it with seitan? If you ever get a chance, I highly suggest trying it! Delish!!
We don’t have Whole Foods where I live 😦 But thank you 🙂
Oh man, I’ve been craving Chinese food for a little while. This looks fantastic!!
Please try it out! 😀