Corn bread has one of my favourite flavours: rich and corny I find it perfect with a warm cup of tea.
It is also so ridiculously easy to make.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 cups of corn meal (the texture and amount of liquid added will change with the size of the corn meal)
- 1.5 – 2 cups of plant milk (I used almond)
- 2 tbs of ground flax seeds + 6 tbs water
- 2 tbs sugar
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 tbs baking powder
Here’s what you do:
- In a small bowl, mix the flax seeds with the water and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix in the corn meal, sugar, salt and milk. Stir well.
- Add the flax mixture and stir until well combined.
- Let this sit for 20 to 30 minutes. This will help the corn meal absorb the liquids and make your bread softer.
- Mix well to see if your it needs some liquid: you want your mixture to have mostly absorbed the milk, but you don’t want dry patches. In doubt, add a few tablespoons.
- Mix in the baking powder.
- Oil your pan and preheat the oven to 400F.
- Pour in the bather and let cook for 30 minutes.
- Let cool before removing from the pan.
That’s it! It really is that simple, and the authentic corn flavour is just delicious. I really like using stone ground meal for this as it adds a crunchy texture to the bread, but this recipe also works with finer corn meal.
Of course, you could add hot peppers, nuts or chocolate chips to the mix, but I like the simplicity and unique flavour of this. Let me know if you try it out!