I looove matcha green tea! The taste is so smooth, green and energizing. I have to admit, I am completely falling for anything marked “matcha”.
So yesterday, as I was craving something sweet, I came up with this recipe. The result is a refreshingly smooth, green, sweet, energy ball.
Here is what you need:
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts
- 7 pitted dates
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/8 cup chia seeds (this adds some crunch)
- 1 tbsp-2tbsp matcha (adjust to your own taste)
- 1/8 cup water or coconut oil
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- a dash of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond powder or topping of your choice
Here is what you do:
- In your food processor, pulse the cashews until they are a fine powder.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the water. Add this only if the mix is not sticky enough. Mix until everything forms a ball in the food processor. The mix should be sticky enough to hold its ball shape.
- Form balls with one tablespoon of the mix and roll in almond powder.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge.
These energy balls have a really nice crunch because of the chia seeds but are still very smooth as the base is cashew nuts. The almond powder goes really well with the matcha flavour as well, and gives a really soft look and feel.
I really love these little things, and even my boyfriend who is not the biggest matcha fan enjoyed them. They are also a great alternative to chocolate.
Let me know if you give them a try!