When my amazing sister-in-law learned about the Indian dinner, she wanted to participate as well. She made a super mixed bean curry, that was just perfectly seasoned.
We had pre-cooked some mixed beans: adzuki beans, pinto beans, yellow peas, green lentils and chickpeas. This made making this dish easier, but you can also use any canned beans if this is more available.
Here is what you need:
- 1 chopped red onion
- the juice of two limes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 ginger piece (about 1 inch)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp sriracha or chilli powder
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 400g beans of your choice
Here is what you do:
- Prepare the onion garnish: mix the chopped onion and lime juice, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil on medium heat. Add the onion and ginger and stir until the onion is translucent and fragrant. Add the spices and stir well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and beans and mix well.
- Once everything is cooked, take off the heat and add the onion garnish. Serve immediately.
As you can see, once all the ingredients are prepared, this dish is very simple to prepare. However, the flavours are really amazing! The onion garnish really give a fresh flavour and a nice crunch. The beans are creamy and soft, and oh-so comforting.
Let me know if you give this a try, and I’ll let my sister-in-law know what you think!
One thought on “Indian Dinner: Mixed Bean Curry”