In an effort to make my life easier, I’m trying to bring more planned meals into the week. One of the things I’m trying are overnight oats.
Now, I really didn’t know if I would feel okay eating oats in the first place as I am gluten intolerant, but I found that Bob’ Red Mill gluten-free quick oats are okay. More than okay actually: delicious!
Because I wanted to make this more fun (it is oatmeal after all), I usually plan for different flavours and prepare everything on Sunday night. It usually takes me around 30 minutes, and breakfast for the WHOLE week is done! Oh yes!
I basically use the same base recipe and add to it to give more flavours.
Here is what you need:
- 1 ripe banana
- 1-2 tbs chia seeds
- 1 tbs hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 cup almond milk
- dash vanilla
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Tropical flavour: 1/2 diced mango, 2 tbsp coconut shreds
- Apple pie flavour: 1/2 shredded apple, dash of cinnamon
- Strawberry shortcake: 1/2 cup diced strawberries, 2 tbsp grounded almonds.
- Friday special: 2 tbsp coconut shreds, 1 tbsp raw cocoa powder
Here is what you do:
- Mash the banana, add the lemon juice and mix in the chia and hemp seeds. Mix well.
- Add the oats and milk. Mix until the banana is well combined.
- Add fruits and other add-ons. Mix again!
- Keep in an air-tight container in the fridge. Let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours before eating.
I love overnight oats! It is delicious, easy to make, and so simple to prepare ahead of time. I also like how it keeps me full until lunch. It’s also great that I just need to grab a jar every morning. No fretting!
Let me know what your favourite flavour is, and what you like to add to your oats.