Another dessert! Again with bananas! This is a little bit different, but definitely in the same flavour combinations. I really enjoy this because, again, it is so easy to make and so delicious too! It is also very comforting as you can eat this warm. Perfect dessert for a cold day!
As a kid, I would take only one banana piece and fill my dessert bowl with the coconut tapioca and add a few spoonfuls of sesame seeds: this was my favourite way of eating this dessert (and sometimes, it still is).
Here is what you need:
- 1/4 cup tapioca pearls
- 3 cups of water
- 500 mL coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 just-ripe bananas (we don’t want any spots)
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup white sesame seeds
Here is what you do:
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Pour the small tapioca pearls and give a quick stir. Let the beads expand and cook until there is only a little white dot in the middle of each pearl. Set on medium heat. Use a non-stick sauce pan because this is sticky!
- In a different sauce pan, pour the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Pour the tapioca pearls and their remaining cooking water into the coconut milk. Mix well and add some water until you reach the desired consistency (we added 2 cups).
- Taste and add the sugar accordingly (you might add less if your bananas are really sweet).
- Peel the bananas and cut in 3 parts diagonally. In a large bowl, add water and the pinch of salt. Dip the banana pieces in this salty water to avoid browning. Add them to the coconut milk.
- Bring back to a boil and remove from heat.
- For the sesame garnish: Rinse the sesame seeds and put them in a metal sauce pan set on medium heat. Shake the pan often to avoid burning. You want the seeds to be golden, so keep an eye on them.
- Serve hot.
This is so good! The sesame seeds bring out the sweetness of the bananas and add a great flavour to the perfect banana-coconut combo. Let me know if you try this out!
5 thoughts on “Vietnamese recipe:Che Chuoi, Banana pudding”
How crazy! My friend was just telling me to try to make this recipe! It looks delicious!! 🙂
Well, you’ll really have to try it out then! 🙂 Let me know how you like it!
I will! 🙂