I really like jicama! It is great raw in salads: crunchy and fresh, it really adds a lot of texture to any salad. Guess what? It’s also great cooked!
Paired up with asparagus and pasta, it creates a very easy and fresh recipe for spring, while still being filling and deliciously flavourful! Cooked jicama has a really nice peppery taste that greatly complements pastas.
Here is what you need:
- 1/2 jicama, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 asparagus bunch, sliced bite size
- 1 tsp fresh or dried rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- Cooked pasta to serve
Here is what you do:
- In a large sauce pan, sauté the tomato until some juice comes out. Add the onion and garlic. Stir until fragrant.
- Add the asparagus and stir around until tender. Add the jicama and mix well.
- Add the spices and season to your taste. Add the pasta and give it a quick stir.
This is very simple, but so flavourful!
The asparagus adds a lot of flavour, but the jicama really brings it to another level and is perfect with the herbs.
Let me know if you try this out!