Since I discovered that Bob’s Red Mill was making gluten-free oats, I have been enjoying my overnight oats every morning. But then, I went to Aux Vivres for brunch with a friend and tried out their granola bowl.
This was so good! It really made me craving granola and its delicious crispiness. I was very happy to see that I could find some gluten-free rolled oats. Add a little bit of maple syrup, some coconut chips, sultana grapes and bam! Cripy awesomeness!
Here is what you need:
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups almonds
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbs melted coconut oil or oil of your choice (this really makes it crispy! Feel free to skip this however.)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup coconut chips (they look like large coconut flakes. I used unsweetened.)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup sultana raisins
Here is what you do:
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- In your food processor (or with a rolling pin and a Ziploc bag), pulse the almonds until they are crushed. I like to keep some bigger pieces for crunch, but adjust the size of the almonds to your own taste.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients, but keep the raisins out for now.
- Add the liquid ingredients and give a good stir.
- Spread your granola on a cookie sheet, and put in the middle of the oven. After 20 minutes, take the pan out and stir the granola before putting it back in the oven for another 20 minutes or until the granola is golden to your liking.
- Take it out f the oven, add the raisins, and give a good stir. Let cool completely before storing in an air-tight container.
This is really good! It is also so easy to prepare and personalize! It goes really well with some milk and fresh fruits, or just as a snack on its own. I have to say that my granola has nothing to fear from Aux Vivres’. I actually think its crunchier and more toasted. I also really like how the sesame seeds add a great flavour, while the maple syrup makes it sweet but not overwhelming so.
Let me know what your favourite granola ingredients out; and if you try this out, tell me what you think!