This is the recipe I fall back on when I’m feeling like having some comfort food. It is very quick to make, looks impressive and is really delicious! It also makes for a great lunch!
Here is what you need:
Part 1: The protein:
- 1 cup TVP (texturized vegetable protein; I used big pieces. You can find this in Asian grocery stores or in health food stores.)
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp miso
Part 2: The sauce:
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tbp corn starch
- 2 tbs tamari or soy sauce
Part 3: The vegetables:
- 1 tsp coconut oil (you can replace this with some water)
- 1 minced onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 zucchini squashes
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbs garram massala
Here is what you do:
- Dilute the miso paste in the warm water and place the TVP in so that it can soak up all the water. Put aside.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients and put aside.
- In a large sauce pan, heat up the coconut oil, and stir the garlic and onion until golden and fragrant. Add the spices and give a good stir.
- Cut the zucchinis into bite-sized pieces and add to the pan. Mix well.
- Add the TVP and the remaining water and stir everything until well coated in spices.
- When everything is cooked and ready to serve, add the sauce ingredients and stir until the sauce becomes thick and glossy. Serve with warm rice or noodles.
I really like this dish because I can pretty much make it with anything on hand: eggplant, chickpeas, mushrooms, tofu or even tempeh! It is also very easy to prepare and quite quick to make. It is supper flavourful and so comforting!
Let me know if you give it a try!