I love pesto. If I could, I would eat basil pesto every day: the flavour is so fresh! However, until summer gets here and we get to grow it, basil is too much for our budget (especially if had every day). So, I turn to the next best thing: parsley! This pesto is super green, very delicious, and adds a ton of fresh flavours to salads, soups, toasts and, of course, pasta. It’s also oil-free and a breeze to make!
Here is what you need:
- a bunch of flat-leaf parsley (about 2 cups)
- 1 bunch of kale leaves, stems removed (about 4 cups)
- 1 peeled orange
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional ingredients (pick a few!): 3 tbs pine nuts, 2 cloves of garlic, 3 tbs walnuts
Here is what you do:
- Mix everything up in your food processor or blender.
- Keep in an air-tight container in the fridge.
The orange balances out the bitterness kale can bring while also keeping the pesto green. It’s also is more subtle than lemon and really lets the parsley’s flavour come through. This recipe is also a great way to use up some left over kale. Perfect! Let me know if you try this out!