This is the perfect recipe for a busy night because it takes minutes to prepare, and you’ll have enough for some lunch. It is also filled with amazing flavours and textures. Plus basmati rice is so fluffy and makes everything better! I don’t know if basmati rice qualifies as risotto rice, but this is still extra yummy.
Here is what you need:
- 1 tsp oil
- 3 cups of sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cups of chopped cilantro, divided in two
- 1/2 cup raw cashew nuts
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch of red chili pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
Here is what you do:
- In a large sauce pan (make sure it is deep enough), heat the oil on medium-high heat and stir in the mushrooms. Cook until they lost all their water and are starting to get a nice golden color.
- Add the rice and mix over. Add the water, the nuts, the spices and half the cilantro. Keep on medium-high heat until boiling. After 5 minutes, turn down the heat to medium-low, a let simmer until all the water is absorbed by the rice. Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Mix in the other half of the cilantro just before serving.
This is delicious! The spices and mushroom are a great combination, and the basmati rice is soft and light. It makes for a great side dish, but can really make a great meal on its own. Give it a try next time you are looking for a one-pan supper, and let me know how you like it!