I love chocolate covered strawberries because they are easy to prepare, always look impressive and are perfect for warm weather. I was craving these, but unfortunately, I didn’t have any chocolate in the house. I did however have some cocoa powder and some cocoa butter (go figure!). So, let’s make some chocolate from scratch!
Here is what you need:
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter (I usually buy this as a big solid chunk. I cut it up in smaller bits to measure.)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (adjust until sweet to your taste)
- dash of salt
- 12 big strawberries, washed and dry (it is important that they are dry: the chocolate will not adhere to wet strawberries)
- Optional (to decorate): coconut flakes, colored sugar, matcha powder, powdered nuts
Here is what you do:
- In a small sauce pan, put all the ingredients and heat up on medium heat.
- Mix with a spoon or spatula to help the ingredients combine until you have a smooth and shiny chocolate sauce.
- Carefully, transfer the sauce to a deep container. It must be large enough for you to dip your strawberries in.
- Prepare your serving plate by cutting parchment paper to cover it. Prepare your decorations as well.
- Dip each strawberry in the chocolate and let the excess drip off. Place on your lined plate and sprinkle your decorations on before the chocolate sets. Repeat until all the strawberries are well covered in chocolate. You can use a spoon to spread it evenly. Place your strawberries in the fridge to help the chocolate set and take them out just before serving. Enjoy!
This recipe is really great if you don’t know what to bring over for a dinner or pot luck. They are easy to make, you can personalize them and they are sure to please everyone! It’s also great to make your own chocolate sauce because you can adjust the sweetness level as well as add any extra ingredients. Let your imagination go crazy, and let me know what you put on your strawberries!