Yesterday, I found some vegan marshmallows at the Ottawa Veg Fest. I was really excited to try them out to make crispy rice treats, a childhood favourite. There is something completely comforting about this desert.
I basically followed the classic recipe, but the really interesting thing is that the vegan marshmallows are perfect! Directly out of the bag, they have the same airy and bouncy texture as the original deal. Their taste is also the same, except they are maybe a little bit less sweet, which for me is a plus as regular marshmallows make me sick pretty quickly. These marshmallows really have nothing to envy to the traditional marshmallows. I really don’t see why we don’t all switch to vegan marshmallows: they are just delicious!
As for the crispy rice treats themselves, they were just as I remembered: noisily crispy and oh-so-chewy! I seriously can’t believe how great these marshmallows are! They really are a great addition to any vegan pantry. I can’t wait to experiment with them again! And in case you never made crispy rice squares (or doughnuts) here’s the recipe:
Here is what you need:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 bag vegan marshmallows (280g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 or 6 cups of puffed rice cereal
Here is what you do:
- Melt the coconut oil with the marshmallows and vanilla in a sauce pan on medium heat. Stir until combined.
- Turn off the heat, and pour in your cereals and mix until evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture in a greased pan. Let sit until firm. Cut and enjoy! I used my doughnut pan to make them round, but you can use any pan you have: just make sure it is well greased, because this treat is sticky!