In the winter, I love making myself a thick dark hot chocolate with a nice foam on top. There is something incomparable to being nested in a thick blanket with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate. However, when it’s 35C outside, the last thing you want to do is bundle up. Well, this is the summer version of my hot chocolate, and it’s amazing!
Because of the alcohol, the texture is soft and light. Rum is a great choice for this recipe as the rich taste makes a superb combination with the dark chocolate. I used a raw cocoa powder because I wanted an intense chocolate taste: it worked! No matter what type of cocoa powder you use, make sure it is unsweetened and high quality as your ice cream will only be as good as your chocolate. I also found vegan dark chocolate chips. Don’t doubt that I was dancing in the grocery store when I found this!
Here is what you need:
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup raw cocoa powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (make sure they are vegan)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup rum or cognac (this is optional and can be replaced with a strongly brewed coffee. Keep in mind that the alcohol will help make the sorbet more scoopable. You can use any strong alcohol you like.)
Here is what you do:
- In a large sauce pan, place 1 1/2 cups of water with the sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Set on medium heat and whisk until the liquid comes to a boil. Don’t put on high heat as you don’t want the cocoa to burn. Once boiling, remove from the heat.
- Add the chocolate chips and whisk until completely melted.
- Add the remaining cup of water, vanilla extract, and alcohol. Whisk until well combined.
- Place in a container in your fridge until completely chilled.
- Place your liquid in your ice cream maker, and churn according to your machine’s instructions for about 30 minutes or until thick. Chill in an air-tight container for a few more hours until completely frozen. Enjoy!
If you like chocolate, you must try this out! Let me know if you do!
2 thoughts on “Dark Chocolate Sorbet”
Omg that is great 👍😍
Thank you! 🙂