Beets! Beets! Beets! They are so beautiful, and they are just coming in season in Montreal. They are so wonderfully sweet and crunchy; they are the best addition to any salad! I love that I can find different colors to add some ‘wow’ to simple dishes. Beets are not only beautiful, they are also very nutritious and packed with vitamins and minerals to get you running around. I can’t get over how beautiful they are with their little bull’s eye pattern in the inside. So cute!
This salad also features carrot ribbons. Now, if you don’t make out ribbons out of your carrots, you are missing out! I love preparing raw carrots this way because they are crunchy without being too hard, and they add an amazing splash of colour. They are also very quick to prepare, so why not?
Here is what you need:
For the dressing:
- 2 tbs pumpkin seed oil
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs tamari sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbs hemp seed hearts
- 1/2 tsp sriracha sauce
For the salad:
- 1/2 head chicory lettuce
- 6 small beetroots of various colours
- 6 carrots of various colours
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds
Here is what you do:
- Mix all the dressing ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- Using you potato peeler, peel the carrots (if you prefer) and continue peeling the entire root to make ribbons. Set aside.
- Peel the beetroots (if you like), and cut them into thin slices width-wise. You can use a mandolin or a knife for this. Set aside.
- Roughly cut your chicory and toss in a salad bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Mix everything together until well covered in the dressing. Enjoy!
I ate that salad with some remaining turmeric pancakes, and it was amazing! The perfect balance of sweet, savory and hot while being a feast for your eyes.
It’s a breeze to prepare, but it’s so beautiful to look at and delicious to eat! It’s the perfect addition to your next picnic or BBQ! Let me know if you try it out!