I love summer and the abundance of fruit that is available. Since the beginning of the season, we have be enjoying a ton of strawberries (strawberry sorbet anyone?), prunes, peaches and now blueberries! These are like candies: so sweet and fresh. Turned into a crumble, they become juicy, wonderfully purple and so delicious!
This crumble is very simple to make and you can change the nuts that you want to use. I really like the way almonds make this extra crunchy, while the pecans are perfect for their crumbly texture.
Here is what you need:
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Here is what you do:
- Wash the blueberries and place in a colander to drain while you prepare the rest.
- In your food processor, process the oats until you have a course flour. Add the almond meal and pulse a few times until combined. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Place the almonds and pecans in the food processor and process for a few seconds until you have chunks. You don’t want flour here. Mix the nuts to the oat flour until well combined. Add the maple syrup and coconut oil and mix well. The mixture should just come together but crumble easily.
- Place the blueberries in an oven-safe dish. Pour the vanilla extract on the fruit and mix. Add the nut mixture on top in an even layer.
- Place in your oven at 350F for 20 minutes until the top of your crumble is a nice golden colour. Enjoy hot or cold!
This was so good! The crumbly layer is crunchy, rich and just sweet enough to balance out the wonderfully tart blueberry jam under it. It’s probably my new favourite crumble: sweet, tart, crunchy, and unctuous. It’s so perfect! I think it would be even better with some vanilla ice cream. Hum, I guess I’ll have to make another crumble to test it out. The sacrifice! Let me know if you try it out!
10 thoughts on “Blueberry Crumble”
Reblogged this on Running to Zen and commented:
Need to make this! Soon!!
Yeah you do! 🙂
Ohhh, I am just getting 2 kilos of freshly picked blueberries delivered today, this is exactly what I’ve needed! 😀
Lucky you! What else are you planning to make? 🙂
I don’t think there will be many blueberries left for anything else. We are going through them raw like we haven’t seen any other food in a week. I better hurry with that crumble too. 😀
I so understand! They practically eat themselves up 🙂
Yes, that must be what is going on with them! 😀
Summer is my favorite fruit season! I’d like to try this with a bunch of different fruits!
I’m thinking peaches 😉