I love basil! And this year is the first year we actually have happy basil plants. It can only mean one thing: PESTO TIME!
Pesto is so fresh and delicious it’s always very exciting to have some in the kitchen. The traditional recipes call for pine nuts, but, hum, these are really expensive! I kept things simple using ingredients that are always in my pantry, and I’m more than satisfied with the result. Here’s my simple, simple, simple pesto recipe!
Here’s what you need:
- Enough fresh basil to fill up your blender, about 5 cups (leaves and tender stems)
- 2 tbs tahini
- 2 tbs almond butter
- 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 whole lemon, rind removed
- 1 tsp salt (I used coarse sea salt)
- pepper, chipotle pepper flakes, or red pepper flakes to taste
Here’s what you do:
- Wash the basil and pat dry.
- Transfer all the ingredients, but the olive oil, into your blender and blend.
- Slowly add the olive oil until you get your desired consistency.
- Transfer to an air-tight container and keep in the fridge.
- Enjoy on everything!
I love this pesto because it is great on everything: sandwiches, as a salad dressing and, of course, pasta. I used raw kelp noodles for a lighter no cook meal, and it was delicious! Let me know what your recipe for pesto is!