This week-end, we tried this recipe. After stumbling on several different zucchini fries recipes, I decided I wanted to give them a try.
I don’t know if I told you this before, but the Magic Bullet really is magic! I bought it when we moved in our new apartment mainly because it is tiny and we have a tiny kitchen. I thought it would only be powerful enough to make smoothies, but this week-end I was amazed to see that I could make my own nut flour with it! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! You can expect a bunch of recipes based on nut flours in the upcoming weeks…
On to the zucchini fries. Our recipe won’t give you crispy fries, but more of a soft yet delicious entrée type of dish. My parents love it, it is low in salt and gluten-free! Enjoy!
Here is what you will need:
– 3 large zucchinis
– 2 cups of nut flour :we processed a mix of almonds, pistachios, cashews and walnuts.
– 1/2-3/4 cup olive oil
– pepper to taste
Here is what you will do:
1) Wash and dry the zucchinis. Cut them into stripes about 7cm (2 inches) long.
2) Place the olive oil in a shallow dish where you will be able to easily coat the zucchini stripes. Do the same with the nut flour.
3) Line two cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Lightly coat them with olive oil.
4) Preheat your oven to 450F.
5) Do the 3 step dance: take a zucchini stripe, coat it in olive oil and sprinkle it with the nut flour. I recommend sprinkling it instead of directly dipping it because it will help your nut flour stay dry (instead of becoming a huge gooey mess). Place on the cookie sheet. Repeat! You want to make sure the stripes are not touching each other.
6) Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until lightly brown.
I served these as an entree to an “Italian” dinner. It was really nice: even without the salt, these puppies were salty, and the nut flavour was amazing! This is a really simple recipe. I hope you give it a try!