The weather over here has been a little bit moody: rain, snow and fog. Spring is clearly waiting to make a grand entrance. Any day now! (I really hope!) So, with this going on outside, I really felt like some comfort food. And what is more comforting than some chowder?
This soup does the trick! It is thick, spicy, creamy and simply amazing! It is also extra easy to make and is fairly quick to prepare. I really like that with the corral lentils, this soup makes for a complete meal. How easy!
Here is what you need:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cans of corn niblets, drained ( I use 341mL/ 12 oz cans, about 5 cups)
- 2 cups of red corral lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp dark miso paste
- 1/2 to 1 tsp of red chili pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toasted sesame seeds to garnish
Here is what you do:
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and garlic with 1/3 cup water.
- Add the potato chunks and mix well. Let cook for a few minutes.
- Add the corn and mix well. Pour some water so that the vegetables are just covered. Bring to a boil.
- Add the lentils and the hot pepper flakes. Give a quick stir. Add 4 cups of water. Let boil on medium heat until the lentils are completely cooked. Remove from the heat. Mix in the miso paste, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- With a wand mixer, pulse until most of the potato chunks are creamed. I like to leave some corn and potato chunks whole, but you could of course grind everything up.
- Serve hot with some sesame seeds.
You really have to try it out! It is so simple and incredibly delicious! This will definitively be a staple in our house from now on. I made enough so that we could bring some for lunch this week: yum!
Let me know if you try this out and what’s your favourite soup!
4 thoughts on “Corn Chowder, the ultimate comfort soup?”
Wonderful! Will have to make this on a cold day… Julie
yes!!! It’s so good!!!! 🙂
Yum I love soup! This looks great.
Give it a try: it is so good! 🙂