Tonight, I am finally, officially on Christmas break! Hooray! What better way to start the break than to share my newest chocolate cake recipe! Yay!
This cake is quite dense, which makes it perfect for a layered cake. For this, I used cranberry sauce and coconut frosting: perfect match!
Here is what you need:
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 cups rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups or 250 g of hazelnuts
- coconut oil for greasing the mold
Here is what you need to do:
- In your food processor, grind the hazelnuts until you have a fine powder. If you want hazelnut chunks in your cake, you can put some aside and add them in the food processor when you already have a nice powder. Pulse for a few seconds.
- In your blender or food processor, mix the bananas, maple syrup, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and milk. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, pour your chocolaty mix, the flour and hazelnuts. With a wooden spoon, mix until all the flour is incorporated.
- Grease your cake mold, pour your cake mix in and put in your preheated oven at 350F. Let cook for 30 minutes or until a dry toothpick comes out clean and dry.
- Let the cake cool before you put the cream on. You can also cut your cake in two to make a layer cake.
This cake is very chocolaty and has a very nice texture because of the hazelnuts.
The cranberry sauce really balances out the sweetness, and the coconut cream adds a little bit of freshness to the ensemble.
Please try it out and let me know what you think!
22 thoughts on “Christmas series: Chocolate cake!”
Is it possible to use tapioca or potato flour?
hum… I never tried it! Sounds like you might onto some experimental cooking! 🙂 Maybe tapioca or potato flour would make the cake lighter? You’ll have to try it out and let me know how it goes! 🙂
I have just learned how to pin recipes. With tapioca or potato starch, this could be used on Passover too. The only thing is, I try to make things as close as possible to the original recipe, otherwise, no one likes it. Food needs to taste good and be healthy♨️
So pretty! Can you use ground almonds in place of the ground hazelnuts?
I don’t see why not! That would be a great idea to try out 🙂 If you do, please let me know how it works out!
Will do 🙂 I have a January birthday and this would make a fantastic birthday cake to look forward to, yum!
Looks so awesome def gotta try it!
Please do! Let me know if you like it 😀
Looks fab. …will definitely try it some time …I really like the sound of the taste combinations you’ve created !
Let me know how it turns out! 🙂
This looks really dense. Like a massive brownie. Nice! 😛
Yes! Totally more brownie than cake 🙂
Hi, at the end you mentioned to put “cream” on top, but I don’t see that ingredient your list. Did you refer to the Coconut milk? ( 1 cup) Thanks
I used coconut milk to make coconut cream. Here is the link : https://mylightheartedkitchen.com/2013/12/24/coconut-whipped-cream/
This looks great! Were the hazelnuts a substitute for something? And have you ever tried making soda pop cake-if so, how did it compare?
Hazelnuts were my prime choice 🙂 What are soda pop cakes? are they anything like cake pops? Sounds intriguing!
Soda pop cakes are basically just a different way to make a boxed cake mix. Instead of the usual oil and eggs, you just add your a can of soda. They’re supposed to be really good.
I see! sounds like something to try 🙂